Sunday 21 July 2013

What is the Best Pushchair for Twins?

I remember being pregnant and stressing over which pushchair was ideal to buy for my soon-to-be-born twins. Every buggy I looked at was either suitable for one newborn and one 6 month old, was ugly, lacked good reviews, or was just too bulky.

I have to say that in my opinion I now own the best pushchair out there for twins. However this was only a very recent purchase, and I also own another much more expensive pushchair that I wish I'd never spent the money on. I want to share my reviews with you so that if you are about to purchase one of these pushchairs you know a bit more about them first.

The first pushchair I want to tell you about is a recent one I purchased from Kiddicare, pictured here:
baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare

It was only recently that I came across the perfect pram for my boys that I wish I had found earlier. It's the Baby Weavers You & Me Twin The Owl and the Pussycat Pushchair, which at the moment is a bargain price of £115, normally £260. This pushchair is perfect for trips to the park, use on public transport, days out, school runs and general day to day use. It's really easy to maneuver and is light enough to lift up onto curbs easily or to carry downstairs (with the help of someone else ofcourse.) 
baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare

It includes a shopping trolley, which isn't really that big, but can at least carry a few items, as well as the handles where you can hang bags from also. 
baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare

There is a raincover included, which is great as I found with a lot of other pushchairs that you had to buy one separately, costing you even more money. This pushchair is supposedly suitable for newborns, as it has a lying back mechanism, although I have to say that the chairs don't lie flat they just tilt back slightly, as you can see in the pictures below. Still it's about the same amount of recline as was in the newborn car seats we had, and they don't have a problem sleeping in this pushchair:
baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare

baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare

The only regret I have about buying this pushchair is that I didn't get it sooner! As you will see with the second pushchair I am about to talk about, it just didn't live up to my expectations. The Baby Weavers You & Me Twin is just the ideal weight, size and is a bargain compared to most tandem pushchairs. Not only that but it folds away very easily and has removable covers, a large hood to sheild your little one from the sun, and a foot rest. 
baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare

baby weaver owl and the pussycat tandem twin pushchair buggy pram review kiddicare


It's also has a gorgeous polka dot design all over, with the cute Owl and the Pussycat design on the removable covers. It's suitable for babies from birth to 15kg, and really is the perfect everyday pushchair for twins.




Secondly, the Britax B-dual Tandem Pushchair is the other pushchair I own, I have the 2012 version in black thunder which at the moment is selling on Kiddicare for £454.99 (not including additional seat needed). It is also available in Purple, Red, and Blue.
britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

As you can see from the picture above, it has one seat in the front and an optional seat in the back. One of the best things about this pushchair is the fact that you can remove the original seats and attach car seats to the frame so that you don't have to carry them around with you. This was perfect for me as I don't drive, so whenever a relative would pick us up from a day trip or we would unexpectedly end up in a car, we had our car seats with us. The car seats are available in a variety of colours to match the colour of your B-Dual pram, so purple, blue, red and other colours and patterns, even zebra! The other great thing about this pushchair is that it has a large shopping trolley, which always comes in handy with twins. Also it's great at steering and has large wheels that smoothly wheel along pavements, get up curbs easily and if say you decide to take a walk in the woods or park, this pushchair is perfect. The Britax B-dual is also able to be used as a singular pushchair, so if ever you take just one baby out you can remove the back seat and it turns into a single buggy.

britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

The car seats are easily detachable, so if you want to take them off and have a sit down for a bit, or prepare a babies feed they can happily sit in their seats. My boys did love these car seats and found them very comfortable. They say they're suitable up to a year, but my boys have almost outgrown them at 7 months:
britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

I have to just add this photo in for the comedy value, not sure what my partner Brad is doing here, but all I can say if this doesn't sell it to you I don't know what will, lol...
britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

Now onto the negatives. I'm not going to lie to you, this pushchair isn't ideal in so many other ways. Firstly, yes it is a twin pushchair, however the front seat is only suitable for babies 6 months+, which means you need to buy a car seat suitable from birth for the front seat, which will set you back £99. That's not really a problem as you most likely need a car seat anyway, or in the case of twins, two car seats are needed. So that's an additional £99 x 2 for your twins to have car seats that clip onto this frame, but it doesn't stop there. If you want to add a second seat onto the frame in the first place, which you will if you have twins, then you need to buy a metal bar to attach another seat which costs you £49.99. Almost £50 for a metal bar! Oh, and you'll also need to buy the second seat, which costs £99.99. In the end this pushchair has so many add-ons that you end up spending just under £1000.
britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

Also, another thing with the Britax B-dual is the fact that, if you're a little bit weak like me, or if you've just had a c-section like I did, then this pushchair is rather heavy to be taking around with you. It's also almost impossible to lift, and I've tried carrying it down stairs with my partner once and all I can say to that is NEVER AGAIN. It is SO HEAVY and just not doable for regular outings or especially if you are using public transport. The only way you can get it downstairs is if you take both car seats off, carry them down and then someone else brings down the frame. Once we actually had about 10 policemen at a train station help us as they saw how much we struggled! Here's a photo of me and the boys waiting whilst daddy takes the pram frame down to the station platform, and then comes back to help carry this lot!
britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

You would think that having one in front of the other would mean you'd have a smaller pushchair, but it's still so bulky that in shops you're knocking everything over. Not to mention the horrific rear wheel guards which stick out like a sore thumb and catch on EVERYTHING and can't be removed! 
britax b-dual tandem twin buggy car seat pushchair pram buggy review 2012 black thunder

I'm including the Kiddicare video which shows you exactly how it works, and you can visually see what it looks like. I think this video mainly shows you how the other seat fits on, but there are more videos on YouTube:



The final pushchair I bought was also from Kiddicare and made by them too, it's called the Kiddicare.com Essentials Basic Twin Buggy Stripes, currently £34.99 usually £99.99. I don't have much to say about this one, it looks really lovely and I have a gorgeous picture of my son Sebastian happily sat in it. It really is a beautiful pram and for the looks alone it is currently selling at a bargain price.


kiddicare.com basic essential twin stripes pushchair review

However, as I went to put my other son, Dylan, in the chair, I realised the plastic clip to hold him in place had already snapped. The fact this had happened when I got the pushchair was lucky really as I had plans to go out in central London for the entire following day, and if the clasp had broken then I don't know what I would have done. What worries me most is if I had been getting off a train or bus and the clip had broken, my son may have fallen out of his seat! The other negatives of this pram are that it doesn't have a shopping trolley, your children cannot lie back in it at all, it's rather flimsy, and you need to buy a separate raincover, priced at £17.99 normally £19.99.



I think the thing that annoys me most about this pram is the fact I left a review on Kiddicare sharing my experiences, and they've not put it up instead only putting up 4 or 5 star reviews. I find this rather interesting, having worked in the online shopping sector professionally for many years, that they filter their own reviews in order to make bad products look better. Although, I'm not surprised as many other companies also do this, but still you would expect to trust Kiddicare reviews.

I don't want to bad mouth Kiddicare as a company though, the deliveries and customer service have always been second to none, and they even text you with an hour slot of when they are coming. Returns are also easy enough too, and you can pick a day for them to come and collect your item(s).

This was a much longer blog post than I expected but I really wanted to be thorough in my review of each of the pushchairs so you know what you're getting with them. I hope this review helps you in some way, please let me know if you have any other twin pushchair suggestions, I'd love to hear what has worked for you. Also maybe you disagree and love the Britax or hate the Babyweaver. Don't forget to leave me a comment and subscribe to my blog for more baby related posts.

Lots of love,
Samantha Dawn
xoxo

Follow on Bloglovin

Find Samantha on: Google+   Twitter   Instagram   Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment